Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm so HOT!

That was an homage to Paris, but I meant feverish. My boyfriend is sick with a cold that he has apparently shared. I knew something was up today when 1) I wasn't hungry and 2) I was finding the office unpleasantly sauna-like and no one else was complaining. I'm very rarely not hungry and I'm even more rarely hot. I almost gave myself heat exhaustion once because I was riding my bike around Chicago oblivious to the fact that it was over a 100°F outside (thankfully I was keen enough to realize that I shouldn't be feeling cold).

Eleven City Diner
photo: Julia Steinberger, CitySearch

I still don't have much of an appetite, but I thought it would be a good time to post my favorite sources of get-well food. If I'm at work and not feeling so hot, I crave Bubbie's Chicken Soup with a huge matzoh ball at Eleven City Diner. As I live in the Second City, not the first, I'm not so familiar with what makes a good Jewish deli, but I imagine that Eleven City Diner fits the bill. The restaurant side is reminiscent of an old style diner, although a little more upscale and a good place for a comfortable business lunch. The deli side (the side I frequent) has a case filled with smoked salmon, deli meats, side salads and some of the best bagels I've had outside of my Baking and Pastry class. There's also a freezer case filled with homemade soup and homemade chicken stock! I haven't tried it yet, but I was very impressed that they sell homemade stock. Centerstage gives it a rave review and mentions that you can get phosphates and egg creams from a trained soda jerk, and that they have great Espresso drinks (they sell Intelligentsia) and desserts.

Thai Avenue
photo:planet99

If I'm at home, I often order tom yum soup with seafood, rice paper spring rolls and steamed rice from Thai Aroma (via GrubHub) or Thai Avenue. This is a meal I order on a regular basis, not just when I'm sick, but the spiciness of the tom yum soup is great for a cold and it's light but filling. I'm trying to perfect this meal at home, but my first attempt was less than stellar. When I've got it down, I'll post it here.

For now, Gilmore Girls is over, Veronica Mars is being DVR'ed, and a margarita at Fiesta Mexicana sounds divine. It comes with a lime in it—citrus is good for colds, right?

No comments: